Dolma Darpee (Grape Leaf)
3 Jars Grape Leaves
3 lbs Boned lamb or Beef
1/3 cup Long Grain Rice (half cooked)
1 Small Bunch Fresh Dill, chopped
1 Cup Fresh Coriander, chopped
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Paprika
3/4 Tablespoon Salt, or to taste
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 Medium Onions, chopped
1 Bunch Green Onions, chopped
2 Stems Celery, diced
1/2 Green Pepper, chopped
2 Sticks Butter or Margarine
1. Cut meat into small pieces and cook with little water until tender.
2. Add black pepper, paprika and 1/2 of chopped onions, letting them simmer together for a few minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat and add rice, dill, coriander, celery, green pepper, salt, garlic and remainder of onion. Mix together.
4. Rinse grape leaves thoroughly. Place one heaping teaspoonful filling in the center of each grape leaf. Fold toward center point, end first, each side, and then stem end. Layer in casserole or roaster (14 x 9 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches) with folded side down.
5. Repeat the above until all filling has been used.
6. Pour boiling water over dolma until visible, but not covering the top layer.
7. Add 2 sticks butter, cover with heavy foil and bake in 350° oven for approximately 2 hours. Check after one hour.
Hint: If more water is needed, add boiled water and cook until the leaves are tender and rice is cooked. Serve with yogurt (Mesta) and paprika butter if desired.
Paprika Butter (Optional): Sauté 1/2 chopped onion in 1 stick butter or margarine. Add 1-teaspoon paprika. Simmer together for a few minutes. Serve paprika butter over each dish with yogurt (Mesta).