8 tomatoes (firm)
4 bell peppers
2 cucumbers (medium size)
3 zucchini (medium size)
1 medium sized eggplant (peeled and cut up in 1 ½ inch pieces)
3 Pounds Lamb or Beef (cut in small pieces)
1/2 Cup Rice (partially cooked)
1/2 Bunch Fresh Dill, chopped
1/2 Bunch Coriander, chopped
1/2 Cup Parsley, chopped (optional)
1/4 Cup Sweet Basil, chopped (optional)
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Tablespoon Paprika
1 Tablespoon Salt or to Taste
2 Red Onions, chopped
1 Bunch Green Onions, chopped
1 15-ounce.) Can Tomato Sauce
2 Sticks Butter or Margarine
1 Teaspoon Salt
1. Cook meat with water until tender. Water must be absorbed when fully cooked (about 1 1/2 hours).
2. Add black pepper, paprika and 1/2 of chopped onions. Let them simmer together for a few minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add rice, dill, coriander, both onions, salt, sweet basil and parsley.
Preparation of vegetables:
1. Cut tomatoes across the bottom half way, scoop the inside of the tomato (save).
2. Cut cucumbers and zucchini in half. Cut off a slice from each one for a lid.
3. Scoop out the inside of the peppers cucumbers and zucchini.
4. Stuff each vegetable and cover with its lid, hold together with toothpicks.
5. Arrange in approximately a 15 x 9 x 5-inch roasting pan, except for tomatoes. Set them aside.
6. Mix the sauce ingredients with tomato pulp and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Pour sauce over vegetables and scatter cut-up eggplant into baking pan.
8. Cover with heavy foil. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake for 45 minutes.
9. Add stuffed tomatoes and bake for another 45 minutes, covered with the foil.